California Healthy Youth Act
Yucaipa-Calimesa Joint Unified School District’s Comprehensive Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Prevention instruction is based on education and prevention strategies that are researched-based and aim to increase the health, academic success, and overall well-being of our students. The purpose of the program is to comply with the State of California requirement that school districts must ensure that all students in grades 7-12 receive comprehensive sexual education and HIV/AIDS prevention education once in middle school and once in high school.
The law has five primary goals:
1. To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy;
2. To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage and family;
3. To promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development;
4. To ensure pupils receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end;
5. To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive and safe relationships and behaviors.
- YCJUSD Specific FAQs
- FAQs from California Department of Education about the California Healthy Youth Act