California Healthy Youth Act
4 months ago
Yucaipa-Calimesa Joint Unified School District’s Comprehensive Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Prevention instruction is based on education and prevention strategies that are researched-based and aim to increase the health, academic success, and overall well-being of our students. The purpose of the program is to comply with the State of California requirement that school districts must ensure that all students in grades 7-12 receive comprehensive sexual education and HIV/AIDS prevention education once in middle school and once in high school.
Our school district partners with the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health and Riverside County University Health System - Public Health to have county public health officials provide the instruction for our students. Our health officials provide county resources for our students and families as well.
The law has five primary goals:
1. To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy;
2. To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage and family;
3. To promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development;
4. To ensure pupils receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end;
5. To provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive and safe relationships and behaviors.
- Parent Information Night for our 7th and 10th grade parents in our San Bernardino County schools: YHS, GVHS/YCOA, OVEC, PVMS, and CECA
- Wednesday, January 30, 2019
- 5:00 p.m.
- Park View Middle School (34875 Tahoe Dr., Yucaipa)
- Parent Information Night for our 7th grade parents in our Riverside County Schools: MVMS
- Thursday, January 31, 2019
- 5:00 p.m.
- Mesa View Middle School (800 Mustang Way, Calimesa)
- YCJUSD Specific FAQs
- FAQs from California Department of Education about the California Healthy Youth Act